The National Federation of Voluntary Bodies hosted a One Day Event on 23 June 2011 to explore the progressive values driving children and adult disability support services entitled: Challenging Times: Ensuring values support ordinary lives - Exploring Family and Person Centered approaches.
You can view the programme of the event to see full details of the speakers and presentations.
The keynote speakers were: Carl Dunst, John O Brien and Gerard Quinn
The conference provided an opportunity to hear from inspiring international speakers on the importance of values shaping disability support services and to debate their relevance for children and adults in Ireland today. The format for the day opened with keynote speakers presenting in a joint plenary session and then divided into separate child & family and adult streams. The conference closed with a joint closing plenary session capturing the common themes and linkages.
You can now download the presentations from our conference on Challenging Times - Ensuring Values Support Ordinary Lives.
- Dr. Carl Dunst, Orelena Hawks Puckett Institute, Asheville, North Carolina: Family-Centered Practices in Early Childhood Intervention: Why or Why Not?
- Dr. John O'Brien, The Center on Human Policy, Law & Disability, Syracuse University: What supports good lives in community?
- Dr. John O'Brien, The Center on Human Policy, Law & Disability, Syracuse University: Building the foundations for good support.
- Prof Gerard Quinn, Centre for Disability Law and Policy, NUI Galway: Supporting Citizenship - The Future of Services for Persons with Disabilites in Ireland: Some Reflections on the Impact of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Frieda Finlay: Family Voices
- Rachel Cassen: Stories that make us stronger
- Carol Cuffe: Parents in Partnership
- Norah Johnston & Mary Rowan: Family Focus - A Parent's and Service Provider's Perspective
- Francis Coughlan & Joe Mason: Genio Funded Project "Ordinary Lives"- A shared services approach to supporting ordinary lives in the community - The starting point.
- Fran Simpson: The Shared Charter of Values & Principles
- Dermot Rush: Application of the shared values and principles that will influence and change policy, plus next steps.