There are many benefits to organisations of having a strong human resource strategy in place – mainly provision of a clear sense of organisational direction, sharing of resources and knowledge amongst employees, better equipped, motivated and developed staff and ultimately the provision of a better quality service to those accessing services.
The National Federation established a Human Resources Sub-Committee in 1998 and it is a key forum for the sharing of information and best practice on key human resources related issues and initiatives. The Sub-Committee is chaired by Patricia Doherty, Chief Executive, St. Michael's House and Committee members are involved in a range of activities aimed at promoting the interests of member organisations in the context of new developments and changes occurring within the health sector. The Human Resources Sub-Committee aims to provide a forum through which issues can be discussed, information shared and positions developed in relation to key human resource matters. It is a key consultation forum within the National Federation of Voluntary Bodies through which members can debate and reach agreement on human resource policy related issues. Through the work of the Sub-Committee, and the regular meetings which are held with Corporate Employee Relations Services, HSE (formerly known as the HSE-Employers Agency), organisations are supported to network with fellow human resource professionals and develop common positions on key matters.
The Human Resources Sub-Committee aims:
(1) To provide a communication and networking forum for Human Resource practitioners within National Federation member organisations whereby they can meet with colleagues, pursue HR objectives of common interest and share information concerning best practices regarding human resource management.
(2) To gather and disseminate information in relation to key issues of relevance to member organisations and to provide support regarding human resource related developments.
(3) To examine and furnish reports on relevant human resource related issues and legislation and to provide advice to member organisations through National Federation structures.
(4) To provide a strategic decision making forum whereby common positions can be developed where this is considered beneficial.
(5) To represent the views and interests of National Federation of Voluntary Bodies members at national level, in particular in relation to the management of industrial relations matters.
(6) To liaise with the HSE and in particular with the HR Directorate, on human resource related issues.
(7) To advise the Board of the National Federation of Voluntary Bodies on human resource issues.
(8) To ensure that the intellectual disability sector is recognised, connected and has a voice at national level.
You will find links to relevant legislation here. For further information on the work of the Human Resources Sub-Committee, please contact our Human Resource Training & Development Co-Ordinator, Jillian Sexton, Tel: 091-792316.