The National Federation established the Vocational Training & Employment Sub Committee in April 2003 to address current and future issues in relation to Vocational Training & Employment. In 2004 it also acted as the Irish Steering Group to the European Association of Service Providers for People with Disabilities (EASPD) LABOr Project, of which the National Federation was a core partner.
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference of the Vocational Training & Employment Sub-Committee are to:
- Advise the Board of the National Federation on recommendations to meet the vocational training, and employment needs of people with an intellectual disability.
- Facilitate the identification and prioritisation of national policy issues and prepare appropriate responses to meet the vocational training, and employment needs of people with an intellectual disability.
- Recommend to the Board to initiate and guide research and other projects exploring vocational training and employment needs of people with an intellectual disability.
- Influence the provision of options and resources to address the vocational training, and employment needs of people with an intellectual disability.
- Act as a collaborative network, for information gathering, exchange of information sharing of resources and dissemination of best practice through formal and informal co-operation between the agencies.
- Further establish links and liaise where appropriate with other relevant national and international groups, e.g. Irish Association of Supported Employment (IASE),Irish Council for Training, Development and Employment for Persons with Disabilities (CNEASTA), European Union of Supported Employment (EUSE), etc.
The Sub-Committee meets on a regular basis to discuss and review ongoing Irish and International Vocational Training & Employment issues. Strong links are maintained with EASPD's Standing Committee on Employment.
Key Actions for 2009
- Examine the recommendations of the National Review of HSE Funded Day Services Report
- Survey Member Organisations to gather information on emerging issues and then identify priority areas
- Exchange information with the Department of Enterprise, Trade & Employment’s Consultative Forum on Employment of People with Disabilities through its representation by Christy Lynch, KARE on the Forum
Members of Sub-Committee
The members of the Sub-Committee are:
Maureen Cahill, Brothers of Charity Cork
Kevin Delaney, Brothers of Charity Clare
Eddie Denihan, Stewarts Hospital
Mary Desmond, COPE Foundation
TJ Duggan, Cheeverstown House
Kevin Hoey, Sunbeam House Services
Trevor Jacob, Co. Wexford Community Workshop
Edith Kennedy, MIDWAY
Christy Lynch, KARE
Conor McAtasney, CoAction
John O’Callaghan, Daughters of Charity Limerick
Bernard O’Regan, Western Care Association
Pat Reen, Prosper Fingal
Sandra Whelan, Walkinstown Association
Caroline Looney, National Federation of Voluntary Bodies
Our Useful Links section will provide you with further information resources. For further information on the work of the Vocational Training & Employment Sub-Committee please contact Caroline Looney, Tel: 091-792316.